Black Garlic Beef Tips and Gravy
Recipe Source - Chef Mitch Maier
Prep Time - 30 Minutes
Cooking Time - 1 Hour 30 Minutes
Total Time - 2 Hours
2-pound beef, cubed (Sirloin or Chuck)
6 tablespoon butter/ olive oil, (divided, or as needed)
1/2 onion (chopped)
8 oz sliced fresh Mushrooms
3 cloves Garlic (minced)
4 cup beef broth, (divided)
2 tablespoon Chef Mitch Maier Black Garlic Sauce & Marinade
1 tablespoon Chef Mitch Maier Black Garlic Ketchup
1 Bay Leaf
1/4 cup All-Purpose Flour
1/4 cup butter
2 cups Beef Broth (as needed) Browning sauce (optional)
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon basil, dried
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
3 tablespoons sherry salt & pepper, to taste browning sauce, for color (optional)
1. Heat Dutch Oven over medium-high heat until hot. Add 3 tablespoons of butter/olive oil. Melt. Add chopped onions. Cook until onions start to turn brown, then add sliced mushrooms. Continue to saute onions and mushrooms until soft. Add garlic and saute another minute.
2. Remove mushroom mixture to a bowl using a slotted spoon and set aside. Deglaze pan with some of the beef broth scraping any loose bits from the bottom as the broth boils. Pour broth over mushroom mixture in bowl.
3. Add remaining butter/olive oil to a pot set on high. Season beef with salt add to the heated pot. Cook on each side until a crust forms. Then turn. Repeat for all sides.
4. After the beef is browned on all sides add remaining beef broth, mushroom mixture, Black Garlic Sauce & Marinade and Black Garlic Ketchup, and bay leaf. Cover and bring to a simmer.
5. Simmer for one hour. Check for doneness. Meat should be very tender but not falling apart. May have to simmer for another half hour.
6. Using a strainer, separate liquid from the meat mixture.
7. To prepare gravy, melt 1/4 cup butter in Dutch Oven on medium-low heat. Add flour, and whisk for approximately 4 minutes. Do not scorch.
8. While whisking flour, slowly pour beef broth and any other liquid strained off of simmering beef to pot.
9. Add additional broth if needed whisking as the broth is added.
10. Cook until gravy thickens.
11. Add paprika, basil, nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste. Add browning sauce if desired for a darker color.
12. Return beef and mushroom mixture to pot with gravy and combine.
13. Bring to boil. remove from heat. Serve Black Garlic Beef Tips with mashed potatoes, egg noodles, or spaetzle.
To Order Chef Mitch Maier Black Garlic Products -- www.chefmitchmaier.com